The VISA Retirement:
Thailand is a popular destination for tourists and seniors. An increasing number of elder people chose the Land of Smile for their retirement.
The quality of life, the beauty of the landscape and the possibility of living properly at a lower cost attract seniors who are looking for a peaceful retirement.
The elders in Thailand are treated with great respect. Seniors particularly appreciate the many massage services and the quality of medical care here.
There are two types of VISAs for this type of stay. They give a residence permit for a period of one to ten years.
We will present you below the steps to apply for this VISA.
The ” Thailand Retirement Visa “, called ” VISA OA “, is reserved for people over 50 years. It gives the right to stay on Thai territory for one year but does not allow any professional activity.
In order to obtain your VISA, you will need to go to the nearest Thai Embassy with the following documents:
- A passport – valid at least 6 months before the departure date (original and three photocopies)
- Three duly completed forms
- Three passport photos in color
- A medical certificate (three copies)
- A recent criminal record extract (three copies)
- Proof of residence in France (three copies)
- A proof of resources (three copies): Bank certificate justifying the amount of 20,000 euros
- Three CVs describing your professional career during the last 10 years (before retirement)
- An airplane ticket
- The amount of 150 € (in cash only)
- The appointment confirmation.
If you wish to stay in Thailand for a longer period of time, you can apply for an OX VISA. This VISA exist since November 2016. It gives a 10-year residence permit.
It is also only available to people over 50 years of age but it require a lot more conditions.
The documents to provide:
- A valid passport
- Three completed application forms
- 3 Passport photos
- One CV
- Financial documents:
- A bank document showing that you have at least 3,000,000 Baht in a Thai bank account
- A bank document showing that the applicant has a credit of at least 1,800,000 Bahts on a Thai bank account. You also need a proof of annual income of at least 1.2 million Bahts (or the equivalent in local currency). Once in Thailand, applicants must hold – within one year – a credit balance of at least 3 million baht in a bank account opened with a Thai bank in Thailand).
- A criminal record extract
- A medical certificate issued less than three months ago stating that the applicant is not a holder of serious and contagious diseases
- Certificate of insurance that covers medical expenses over 40,000 Baht
- Visa Fee: 10 000 Bahts (300 euros).
- The appointment confirmation.
The VISA OX gives the right to work on Thai territory as a volunteer (see list of relevant jobs on the Ministry of Labour website) and allows the purchase of an apartment in a condominium.
Please note that the legislation relating to the allocation of VISAs may be subject to changes, so it is advisable to check in advance on the website of the Embassy of Thailand before taking any steps.
Source: Website of the Embassy of Thailand in France (July 10, 2018)